Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Tryst with Objectivism

The first time I heard about it, it was from my brother - " If you think this is fat, check out Ayn Rand's books!". Then there was a long break before it resurfaced in the form of recommendations from two of my very close (and even more literary) friends. Still, the sheer size of the book managed to dissuade me from lifting it (you can't pick up an Ayn Rand, you have to lift it) till very recently. Then Mr. Greenspan joined my friends in praising the lady through his book, The Age of Turbulence, but my friends' (yes, the same literary ones') attempts to stop me from reading it later on, saying it would change me forever and they did not want me to change, served as the final nail in the coffin. As luck would have it, I found Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged in my dad's old worn out closet (that he so lovingly calls his library), and I started the process of discovering objectivism. Should I be scared? Books can't change me...or can they?
Today, a very dear friend of mine said she was confused and I volunteered to help her clear her doubts. Actaully, I know I could not have helped her much, as she is one of the most level-headed persons I have ever met, but I know she loves to talk about things like these - afterall, these are matters of Love! Now, I can't discuss the thing we actually talked about, but in the end, I gave her a suggestion which sounded very selfish to me then. Even my friend agreed that it was not a very nice thing to do (she actually used a much stronger word ;-) ) but I said that when the next 50 years of your life are at stake, it is okay to be a little selfish!
Rewind a couple of weeks - a friend of mine was very sad because his close friend's marriage had been called off, just weeks before he was supposed to tie the knot. The girl had found someone else. Back then, I don't think any of us approved of what had happened, but was there a better way out? Didn't the girl save her and the guy's future by not entering into a relationship which she knew had lost its foundation... and she had the right to ensure her happiness before the guy's, didn't she? Or did she? At such a price? But then, is there a price for happiness? Before a week had passed, I heard that both of them were actually doing much better than expected (thank God!).
Tonight, I think the girl had done the right thing. Instead of living a lie for the rest of her life, she had the courage to face the truth and come clean without the fear of society, friends and relatives. She was selfish in leaving her earlier boyfriend for someone else, weeks before their marriage , but was it wrong?
One week back, I would have said Yes; today I say No. Is this Ayn Rand's doing? Can she really influence the minds of young, educated people, even after her death? Is this the strength of books and thoughts? Am I better person now than I was a week back? Will I be more successful in life now? Just 100 pages into the book and it has my head reeling with these thoughts. But I am not the one to give up, to get scared and hide myself from radical ideas. I am a free bird, which knows where its home is, but doesn't mind migrating to places where the wind might take it. Bring it on Ms. Rand, I am ready for you!

3 comments:

Megha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PR said...

Apparently I am not the one you need a comment from...

Fugitive said...

I both hate and love ayn rand...I remember being very scared when I read the same book. It makes me happy if you can take so many positives out of the book. Maybe your literary friends (at least one of them) tried to impose their own insecurities on you when they asked you to not read it... Kudos to the strong trader to be :)